Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition Installation Instructions
You need to have a PC running Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 or XP Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1, Windows 64 or Windows Vista. If you're running an older Windows, we suggest you install Watcom instead.
You will also be required to register with Microsoft. If you have a Hotmail or Windows Live account already then use that. If not then you will need to sign up (it is free) for one.
- Download the 3Mb file. This is a small download but you will need to download a large volume of files so don't attempt this unless you have a DSL or faster Internet connection.
- We recommend you include the MSDN 2005 Express Edition in the download. It contains projects, source code and help.
- You don't need SQL Server 2005 now but it will be useful in the future. It can be downloaded at a later stage. The total download is 339Mb with the .Net 2 framework so you might want to do this early in the morning for faster download speed.
- You don't need the Platform SDK now but you might find it useful in the future.
- After downloading and Installing, run Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. This will try to connect to the internet and that is ok. It is just to download news and check for updates.
- You now have 30 days to register to get a registration key. Once you have it, hit Help and Register Product. Enter your registration code.