1. Technology

And the answer to "Petals around the Rose" is?

By December 5, 2006

Count the spots around 3s and 5s, that is those faces of the dice with a central spot and surrounded by 2 spots (on a 3) or 4 spots (on a 5). Add them up. That's it. Supposedly, Bill Gates took 90 minutes to suss this puzzle but that may be an urban myth. I'm no genius but I got it in about a minute! Spotting patterns is a handy ability when you are debugging.

Some new articles added this week.

Have a great week!

Comments
November 6, 2007 at 1:45 pm
(1) michael says:

i haven’t thought that was the real solution. i solved it differently, i add all the odd dice number and subtract the count of odd dice number. i thought this is so, because one rule is the answer is always even, so i tried to eliminate all odd dice number, and i immediately noticed that by subtracting the count of odd dice number from the sum of odd dice, my answer is correct.

did i think outside the box? or did i think logically?

July 3, 2008 at 5:02 pm
(2) potentateoftherose says:

this only shows that you can look for answer through the internet…

February 10, 2009 at 4:38 pm
(3) anon says:

You solved the problem, but you’re stupid to post the solution on Internet. It is more fun for people to find out the solution by themselves. Please remove the post!

January 11, 2010 at 9:50 pm
(4) Deven Black says:

I’ll second what anon said, but without the invective. Is your point in giving the answer to show how smart you are? If so, it is so small of you. I am a teacher who has enjoyed watching students figure it out for themselves and my students have enjoyed doing so. Having all the answers handed to one is intellectually dulling.

January 12, 2010 at 3:33 pm
(5) cplus says:

Deven, if you google for Petals etc, the answer is very easy to find elsewhere (a page on Wikipedia) so I may as well publish the answer (though usually after a day or two). it’s better when I can devise a puzzle like the two dice – see as there won’t be so many answers to that. But this isn’t a puzzle site per se, those are just very infrequent distractions!

David
About C, C++ and C#

February 24, 2011 at 8:41 pm
(6) ito says:

you shouldn’t have posted this… you’re violating the Potentates of the Rose rules

September 6, 2011 at 6:36 pm
(7) hjhjlkl says:

OM GLIFE SAVOR HAD THIS PROBLEM FOR BIOLOGY COUNDT FIGURE IT OUT! THX!

May 1, 2012 at 4:01 am
(8) Idiots says:

Whooooo cares!!!

If you get the solution from somewhere other than your own mind, namely research, good on you for finding out how it works and adding to your already growing body of knowledge. For the arrogant among us who say the answer shouldn’t be posted…bite me!!!

June 12, 2012 at 9:00 am
(9) Si says:

@Michael : Your solution is the exact same as what is posted above. If you count all the odd numbers, it means you are counting all the dots on the odd numbered die, including the centre dots, and by subtracting the number of odd numbered dice, you are effectively subtracting the centre dots counted (since they are one on each odd numbered die).

June 13, 2012 at 12:07 am
(10) Dick says:

“A claim that often accompanies these instructions is that the smarter an individual, the greater amount of difficulty the individual will have in solving it. If such a statement is true, it may be attributed to the fact that “smarter” people tend to be more knowledgeable in a wide range of information which they may unnecessarily attempt to draw upon to solve the puzzle.” Bill Gates probably did take a long time to figure it out, he was making it more complicated than it needed to be. I can definitely see how debugging would wire your brain for this kind of stuff though, took me about 40 minutes than got impatient and looked it up.

November 30, 2012 at 7:42 pm
(11) Brian says:

Again, going off of what Dick quotes, that the “smarter an individual, the greater amount of difficulty the individual will have in solving it”…then boasting that you got it in about a minute is doing a lot more in terms of reinforcing your claim of “not being a genius” rather than impressing anybody…

Soooooo…good work, Chuckles. XD

December 8, 2012 at 1:28 am
(12) Jon says:

I feel SO STUPID especially since it took me three hours to figure it out! Its so simply and yet so difficult! I think i need something for my headache. Wish i had aspirin

December 9, 2012 at 5:28 am
(13) fandango says:

The thing about this game is that it takes smart people much longer to figure it out.